Welcome to the Dragon Folk Club

Welcome to the official blog of the Dragon Folk Club, which meets for a singers night every Friday at The Bridge Inn, Shortwood, Bristol. Everyone is welcome whether you sing, play or just listen.

Saturday 11 January 2014

Blog news

Before I get down to writing this week's session report there are a few pieces of news I would like to impart relating to the Dragon Folk Club's web presence. After Mike's warning last week that without an increase in attendance, the club might cease to exist I decided to take a look at what could be done to improve and increase the club's profile.

Now with pictures


The first place I looked was this blog. A minor, but important change is that I will aim to include an image of some sort with each session report. To get the ball rolling I've added images to most (but not quite all) of the previous reports. The aim is just to liven up the blog and make it look more attractive.

A backward step for YouTube


While I was doing that, I noticed that YouTube had broken the links I made to playlists where I'd gathered together many of the songs we sing. The result was that if you selected a playlist from the bottom of a report or from the "Song Selections" page it just played the first song. This wasn't very useful so I've simplified the links from the reports (they still work) and removed the "Song Selections" page from the bog for the time being. I may reinstate it if I find a satisfactory solution.

Dragon tweets


Finally on the subject of the blog, I decided at last nights session I would try using Twitter to get the word out. I sent a couple of Tweets. Now I have added a "feed" on the blog home page where you can see those tweets. If you use Twitter and you fancy sending a tweet about the club just include the hashtag #dragonfolkclub in your Tweet and it will appear on the blog. Of course there is scope for this facility to be abused, so I will keep my eye on it and consider discontinuing it if it looks too bad. There is already a profanity filter on it, so keep your Dragon tweets clean!

Facebook

The club's Facebook page has been in existence almost as long as this blog. All the blog entries are linked from it and people (mainly me) occasionally post more loosely folk related items on it. I have dug around Facebook and found some groups that seem ripe for receiving Dragon publicity, so if you are a Facebook member and frequent any of these groups you may find me, and the Dragon Folk Club, cropping up. If you do see one of my messages, then please "like" it or feel free to comment - and to add a bit of variety, why not start a post yourself?

...and outside Facebook, don't forget The Mudcat Café.




No comments:

Post a Comment