Welcome to the Dragon Folk Club

Welcome to the official blog of the Dragon Folk Club, which meets for a singers night every Friday at The Bridge Inn, Shortwood, Bristol. Everyone is welcome whether you sing, play or just listen.

Saturday 17 August 2013

To join my voice with yours and sing a song with all our might

Harry Bridges
We were a little thin on the ground this week but keen enough that when Mike suggested calling it a day at half time, it was decided to carry on. As the song, Friends like these, by George Papavgeris, sung by Robin, says "I've been waiting since last [Friday] just to be with you tonight, just to join my voice with yours and sing a song with all our might".

I didn't discern any themes, intended or otherwise this week and there were no visitors to mention, so I'll just list at random a few of the songs that were sung - maybe some of the less well known (at least to me) ones.

Mike: Doodle let me go
Derek: Tipping it up to Nancy
Robin: Rolling home
Colin: The ballad of Harry Bridges by Pete Seeger, Lee Hays and Millard Lampell, and about Harry Bridges.
Steve G: Pretty Polly, after Bert Jansch
Ray: Early in the Spring (at least I think that's what it was - I wish I'd taken better notes)
Simon: Behind the wall by Tracy Chapman

A couple of other songs deserve a mention (in my opinion). We got a rare chance to hear Mike sing The Chinese bumboat song since Maggie wasn't present (Maggie doesn't like the song and it would be more than Mike's life is worth to sing it when she's there). To go, as usual, from the ridiculous to the sublime, Ray sang one of my favourite songs, Harvey Andrews' Margarita.

Derek closed the session with Billy Bennett's She was poor but she was honest.

Here's a selection of these songs plus some others sung during the session.

No comments:

Post a Comment